Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mom as Cheerleader

If I've ever wondered about my role as cheerleader, some news from last year's testing came in the mail....as Molly's gone through school, Terry and I have provided a nice balance for assistance with her classes...he excels in the sciences and math, and I can help with everything else...

Writing, however, she has always tried to maintain is her weakness....she automatically balks at the writing assignments and tells herself she cannot do it....I spend much of the writing assignment doing the rah rah to keep her working...well... the results came in yesterday that she had scored in the "exemplary" range in last year's state writing skills assessment....she didn't just do well, she scored in the highest range there was....I told her if she only believed herself what I believed about her capabilities she would have a much easier time of it...the hardest critic of Molly is Molly, and the most pressure comes from her...it's a challenge sometimes keeping her focused so she doesn't give up on it before she starts...

And THAT is one of my concerns as she prepares for college....I know the support I provide to her in encouraging and supporting her and what she needs to do...I worry about the negative pressure she'll put on herself when she's on her own and feeling the stress...I don't want her talking herself out of the game from the get go...she will have an incredible life if she can achieve her goals, and she can achieve her goals if she realizes she can do it....

The rah rah goes on....

No comments:

Post a Comment